Sr. Linux Engineer
Sr. Linux Engineer
Our client is one of the top insurances companies in the nation that offers annuities for retail investors as well as fixed income products for investors. Our client is raising the overall level of financial education and confidence in the U.S. by providing useful financial content framed in a way that is relevant, consumable and engaging for the modern investor.
- Provides technical recommendations and assists in system design of large complex projects.
- Leads collaborative site reliability engineering projects.
- Architects and deploys Unix servers and operating systems, including server hardware, virtualization technologies, and Unix/Linux operating systems.
- Works with the capacity planning team to evaluate and tune system performance and right size virtual and physical servers.
- Continuously evaluate emerging technologies and determine suitability for use and environment.
- Responsible for the latest IBM Power, Cisco UCS, Dell, and HP equipment (often to their limits), and use virtualization, replication, and clustering to scale and protect the environment.
- Develops and improves processing standards, procedures, and automation for use by IT staff in a constantly growing and evolving environment.
- Focuses much of their time on project work with minimal oversight needed.
- Provides technical support and servers as a cross-team technical lead to IT staff during systems designs, developments and deployments.
- Participates in a 24/7 on-call rotation, providing level 3 escalations and project work.
- Deep troubleshooting in an advanced, integrated environment.
- Works closely with software vendors and coordinates third-party software installs and evaluates the compliance of installs to the organization standards.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to junior staff in technical, customer, and project management skills.
- Actively pursues opportunities to improve and automate team procedures and systems performances with company developed, commercial, and third party open source automation tools.
- Works with a sense of urgency and purpose and challenges the status quo.
- Extensive knowledge of SQL for use with reporting and scripting.
- Expert knowledge of Linux and AIX operating systems and hardware including on multiple architectures.
- Expert knowledge and experience with hypervisors and virtualization, such as KVM, PowerVM, and PowerKVM.
- Extensive knowledge of Storage Area Networks (SAN)-based servers.
- Experience with SAN Storage and Backup administration is a plus.
- Code Development (Java or equivalent) including continuous integration and continuous deployment technologies.
- Ability to learn and deploy new technology.
- Project management experience including driving projects involving multiple technical and business teams.
- Strong project and time management experience.
- Extensive knowledge of programming language concepts.
- Expert knowledge of multiple scripting languages: Perl, KSH, Python required, bash optional.
- Extensive experience performing extensive scripting work for automation tasks.
- Extensive knowledge using Restful API’ s to automate work between applications.
- Ability to balance and manage customer needs, daily responsibilities, and projects.
- Ability to focus simultaneously on production duties and customer needs.
- Bachelor’ s degree or equivalent experience and/or education.
- 8-10 years of experience required.
- Experience designing and developing applications and services for managing infrastructure.