4100 Okemos Rd Okemos, MI 48864
Position: Business Rule Engineer
Location: Okemos, MI
Type: 12-Month Contract +
1. Ability to articulate the constraints of a business domain as a collection of rules and to design suitable fact models to do the same. Typically, people think sequentially. However, to be a Business Rule Engineer requires a strong aptitude for logical and methodical thinking with the ability to disseminate business constraints into discrete rules.
2. Ability to articulate rules in a clear, concise and unambiguous language. This requires a strong language capability coupled with thought clarity.
3. To be able to transform the logic concepts to code in the system, the candidate should have good aptitude for computer science, object-oriented analysis and design and modeling.
- The Business Rule Engineer position is a melting pot of diverse skills and talents.
- A Business Rule Engineer should have the computer science background to understand the basic building blocks of logic and be able to correlate it to the technical details of a how a rule engine functions.
- Technically rule based systems differ quite a bit from software systems built using traditional programming languages.
- An experienced Business Rule Engineer should have the following attributes and skills to be successful.
- To analyze, experiment, design, program, innovate and test internally developed, differentiating software products such as BRIDE using a combination of prevalent system/software components (For e.g. Java/JEE, .NET etc.).
- Engage with users, peers and other domain/feature team members to ensure standards are followed.
- Participates in product innovation cycles, brainstorming new ideas to innovate and improve the software product.
- Proactively understands software usage patterns, anticipated user pain-points, and synthesizes aspects taken from similar feature designs associated with alternative commercial/open source software.
- Continuously analyze existing product software design and develop techniques to enhance them with productivity features, synthesize emergent and mainstream technologies, techniques, approaches and design elements into improving existing software product design.
- Participates in the analysis, design, and development of technical specifications, programming, and testing of application and product components. Able to contribute to the maintenance of analysis and design models.
- Able to comprehend the distribution of systems across physical nodes, definition of run-time architecture, concurrency requirements, inter-process communication mechanisms, and process lifecycles.
- Participates in peer code reviews and can comprehend and implement enterprise programming standards and guidelines. Participates in story card refinement and code craft development.
- Adheres to deployment activities, automated testing practices, and secure coding practices as defined by enterprise coding standards.
- Assists the Senior or Lead SDI with issue resolution, scalability metrics, integration issues, and response to critical production issues as required.
- Ability to understand business requirements and how the delivery of high quality working software delivers value to the enterprise.
- Perform other related assigned duties as necessary to complete the Primary Job Responsibilities as described above.
- The candidate should exhibit innate traits of out of the box thinking and the ability to conceptualize and clearly communicate complex abstract patterns in analysis and design. The candidate should also demonstrate a strong ability to problem-solve, recognize nuances, patterns and improvisations in design/implementation approaches.
- Position requires a bachelor' s degree and/or a minimum of three years' related work experience in applications design/ programming or scripting, installation and integration of complex software. Will accept any suitable combination of education, training, or experience.
- Position requires a working knowledge with multiple technology disciplines and the ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies /standards, languages and frameworks. Relevant languages and software frameworks may include but are not limited to:
- Java, JEE or Spring framework development skills including recent experience. Understanding of the Java Collections framework, working knowledge of Web and Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) container models, JEE transactional control as well as experience with multiple persistence strategies: Data Access Object (DAO), Object-to-Relational (O/R) mapping, Java Database Connectivity (JDBC), and transaction demarcation is preferred.
- DevOp skillsets which typically come with strong scripting, software provisioning, installation, upgrade and integration. Experience with iterative software development practices, recent Oracle SQL, Extensible Markup Language (XML) development, Object-oriented and Service-oriented design, including knowledge of data transfer objects and associated design patterns is also preferred.