4100 Okemos Rd Okemos, MI 48864
Our client is embarking on a major restructuring of a system that conducts over 4 billion dollars of business per year. They are also building Web based UI using RIA techniques and REST/JSON. The DevOps group is responsible for providing the tools and support necessary to help the core development teams manage, promote, and release this software. They are also responsible for working with our infrastructure group to plan operational support including collaborative processes for promotion of build artifacts into secure environments.
The environment includes a wide mix of J2EE, Oracle, WebLogic, VMWare, message buses and Openstack. They are moving towards a hosting model closer to that scripted build out and release onto operational pre-hardened OS images with specified capacity provided by the operations group. Many of the build, release and artifact management processes must be upgraded to work in this new mode. Everything cannot transitioned all at once so charting a path with incremental upgrades will be critical.
This Enterprise Architect reports to the Lead Enterprise Architect and extends their ability to research problems, designs and opportunities at a greater depth. They will provide guidance, collaboration and mentoring for Dev leads of individual teams who generally act as the solution architect for that projects. They may be required to step into specific projects to supply additional management, coding and engineering capacity as needed to make projects successful.
The Architects spend a lot of time interacting with business users, PMO and product managers. They must be able to receive ambiguous input from many sources, synthesize the true underlying root cause problems and then sell all participants on alternative approaches when needs.
Our client believes in Architects who are great engineers and who still write a lot of code. They will be guiding the transition into these techniques over time. They must be able to code in several languages and cannot be a single stack specialist. They must be first and foremost experts in distributed systems with a heavy focus in conversational semantics for large scale distributed systems. In some instances, they will be required to sit down and build prototypes demonstrating complex solutions as one of their communication tools. They must understand the entire stack from the edge routers through the fully installed application and a great understanding of where it makes sense to place functionality in that stack. They must have the ability and inclination to dive into any component of that stack and rapidly become an expert able to help diagnose problems that may occur in that stack.
Our client is moving towards an internal private cloud but wants to shift towards development and hosting architectures compatible with spinning up entire new silos using leased open stack capacity so deep experience deploying complex applications in the public could will be very helpful.
This is an evolving stack so you need to have a love of learning new tools, new languages and radical new ways of thinking about the intersection between Development and operations. You need to be passionate about web scale technologies as applied to scale growing businesses.
The Enterprise Architects provide deep design reviews and are quite often used as the final code review especially for important modules. They are the gate keepers ensuring what is built does not incur inappropriate technical debt.
- Reviews, provides input and approves the technical platform architecture and data architecture
- Responsible to define and oversee implementation of production environments required to support the product
- Responsible to review and approve understand key technical processes, standards and software architectures used to develop, implement and support Roosevelt.
- Understanding and approval of software products and tools for the Program
- Works with the Technical Principal, Development Manager and PMO to define the platform technical architecture
- Collaborate with Engineering leads to find opportunities to improve speed, reduce technical debt, improve flexibility, etc.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to solicit and formalize requirements and work with end users/customers.
- Ability to work in a semi-structured environment where requirements and priorities are dynamic.
- Experience with agile development methodology.
- Understanding Business Process Re-Engineering (BPR). Analysis and redesign of workflows in an organization to optimize business processes as it related delivering software faster and at lower cost
- Must be able to code in at least 4 programming languages
- At least 5 years as solution architect.
- At least 3 years as principal Engineer / SDE
- At least 3 years as application lead