400 Renaissance Drive Detroit, MI 48243
Product Owner (#6688)
Are you a car enthusiast that’ s curious about the other side of the auto-industry?
ektello is looking for a Product Owner for one of the most iconic Automotive clients in Detroit, MI. Our client is among the world’ s largest automakers. They’ re a multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, markets, and distributes vehicles and vehicle parts. From electric cars to heavy-duty full-size trucks, they provide a complete range of vehicles that meets the needs and expectations of drivers on a global scale.
The Product Owner will be responsible for building applications in a web based and mobile app environment. Working in an Agile environment they will be setting the strategy for current and future features/products and presenting the product to stakeholders. Many of the duties involve traditional Product Owner and Scrum/Agile activities such as:
- Collaborate with Product Manager, UX team, business stakeholders, and development teams to define the Product Backlog and Product Roadmap by way of User Stories, storyboards, wireframes, and other software design artifacts.
- Ensure continuing engagement with development team during the product development lifecycle in order to provide User Story (requirements) clarification and immediate feedback upon completion.
- Coordinate and facilitate necessary interactions in order to obtain answers, provide direction, or eliminate impediments during product development.
- Lead all scrum ceremonies, including backlog grooming, sprint planning, stakeholder demos, and team retrospective.
This person will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional, and Agile environment and will assume a lead role for various product decisions. Specifically, we expect the following:
- You love tech and you love products, you love to create products and you love to understand other companies’ products and figuring out how did they build that experience or feature.
- You love tech products so much that it defines you and at times eats into your free time, but you don' t mind and wouldn' t have it any other way.
- You like to ask questions; questions on behalf of the customer, questions on the experience, questions on the purpose of the product, questions on architecture and question on the performance of the product.
- You are not a wallflower and speaking your mind or expressing your ideas comes naturally.
- You' ve practiced Scrum or other Agile methods so much that you can probably teach Agile. But you aren' t unwavering in that Agile is the only way and you are comfortable experimenting with new processes and folding them into best practices for organizations.
- You know the difference between epics, user stories and you' re astute at building those artifacts, communicating the vision and acceptance criteria.
- You understand that products aren' t always defined in what you see or interact act with.
- You know a product is measured by what you don’ t see, it' s the elegance of making the difficult disappear as to what makes or breaks the experience.
- You work in that elegance zone and your products reflect it. You like to solve, analyze and get into the details of your product or product issues.
- When you see a problem, you can break it down into its technical components, going through the " 5 why' s" exercise to understand, correct and prevent issues from occurring.
- You like code, it interests you and you aren' t afraid to dig into a code block or two. Maybe you developed before, either as a full-time developer or for personal satisfaction/curiosity, providing you the ability to relate, understand and recommend technical solutions.
- You like to understand how your software and system software operates, breaking it down to components and then thinking of ways to improve the existing software, experience and applications. To you it' s about the problem solved and experience created for your customers utilizing your work.
- You have an insatiable appetite for learning new things, investigating new products and you enjoy sharing knowledge you' ve consumed and collected over the years.
- You’ re able to make the complex simple and have demonstrated an ability to understand and explain issues.
- You solve problems with the right mix of creativity and deep analysis.
The candidate must have the following skillset/attributes:
- 10+ years of experience in product development or program management of Software intensive technical projects with a successful project delivery record in a multi-stakeholder and cross-functional environment
- 5+ years in a leadership role in Agile based software development organization
- Strong experience interacting and managing business customers and expectations
- Strong organization and planning skills for project planning and activity management (PMP certification a plus)
- BS in Engineering, Computer Science or Equivalent Technical Degree or Software Developer Experience
- Problem solving skills to facilitate a shared understanding of problems, possible solutions, and determine the scope of any required changes (DMAIC, System V, Six Sigma)
- Critical thinking skills for evaluating multiple options and helping a team settle on problem solutions. Ability to listen to stakeholder needs but also critically consider those needs and ask probing questions until the real need or problem is surfaced and understood.
- Demonstrable knowledge of software development lifecycles and activities
- The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills to interact with a diverse group of technical architects, developers, and subject matter experts
- Ability to work in across diverse teams and produce excellent results in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to articulate ideas and roadmaps to both technical and non-technical addressees
- 5+ years of experience in automotive product delivery, infotainment, mobile app development, and/or connected devices
- Familiarity with Android or HTML 5 app development
- Certification as Scrum Master and/or Product Owner
- Masters in technical field or MBA
- 2-3 years as a Web Architect or as a Web Software Developer
Location: Detroit, MI
Duration: Long-term Contract (12+ months)