4100 Okemos Rd Okemos, MI 48933
Enterprise Architect – Senior Solutions Architect (#7694)
Our client has embarked on major restructuring of a system that conducts over 4 billion dollars of business per year. They are also building Web-based UI, using RIA techniques and REST/JSON. This DevOps group is responsible to provide the tools and support necessary to help our core development teams manage, promote, release this software. They are also responsible for working with our infrastructure group to plan operational support including collaborative processes for promotion of build artifacts into secure environments.
The environment includes a wide mix of J2EE, Oracle, WebLogic, VMWare, message buses, and Openstack. They are moving towards a hosting model closer to that scripted build out and release onto operational pre-hardened OS images with specified capacity provided by our operations group. Many of the build, release and artifact management processes must be upgraded to work in this new mode. They cannot transition everything all at once so charting a path with incremental upgrades will be critical.
This Enterprise Architect reports to the Lead Enterprise Architect and extends their ability to research problems, designs and opportunities at a greater depth. They will provide guidance, collaboration and mentoring for Dev leads of individual teams who generally act as the solution architect for that projects. They may be required to step into specific projects to supply additional management, coding and engineering capacity as needed to make projects successful.
The Architects spend a lot of time interacting with business users, PMO and product managers. They must be able to receive ambiguous input from many sources synthesize the true underlying root cause problems and then sell all participants on alternative approaches when needs.
Our client believes in Architects who are great engineers and who still write a lot of code. The Enterprise Architects must have a breadth of knowledge from web scale businesses as they will be guiding the transition into these techniques over time. They must be able to code in several languages and cannot be a single stack specialist. They must be first and foremost experts in distributed systems with a heavy focus in conversational semantics for large scale distributed systems. In some instances, they will be required to sit down and build prototypes demonstrating complex solutions as one of their communication tools. They must understand the entire stack from the edge routers through the fully installed application and a great understanding of where it makes sense to place functionality in that stack. They must have the ability and inclination to dive into any component of that stack and rapidly become an expert able to help diagnose problems that may occur in that stack.
The client is moving towards an internal private cloud but want to shift towards development and hosting architectures compatible with spinning up entire new silos using leased open stack capacity so deep experience deploying complex applications in the public could will be very helpful.
This is an evolving stack, so you need to have a love of learning new tools, new languages, and radical new ways of thinking about the intersection between Development and Operations. You need to be passionate about Webscale technologies as applied to scale growing businesses.
The Enterprise Architects provide deep design reviews and are quite often used as the final code review especially for important modules. They are the gatekeepers to ensure what we build does not incur inappropriate technical debt.
- Reviews, provides input and approves the technical platform architecture and data architecture
- Responsible to define and oversee implementation of production environments required to support the product
- Responsible to review and approve understand key technical processes, standards and software architectures used to develop, implement and support Roosevelt.
- Understanding and approval of software products and tools for the Program
- Works with the Technical Principal, Development Manager and PMO to define the platform technical architecture
- Collaborate with Engineering leads to find opportunities to improve speed, reduce technical debt, improve flexibility, etc.
Qualifications - Required:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to solicit and formalize requirements and work with end users/customers.
- Ability to work in a semi-structured environment where requirements and priorities are dynamic.
- Experience with agile development methodology.
- Understanding Business Process Re-Engineering (BPR). Analysis and redesign of workflows in an organization to optimize business processes as it related delivering software faster and at lower cost
- Must be able to code in at least 4 programming languages
- At least 5 years as solution architect.
- At least 3 years as principal Engineer / SDE
- At least 3 years as application lead
- Extensive knowledge designing REST/JSON interfaces.
- Extensive experiencing designing and implementing complex schema.
- Extensive experience refactoring complex schema.
- J2SE and related Stack
- J2EE and related stack including EJB and web servers. Solid Java development skills with 7+ years J2EE experience.
- Expert in Share nothing and other web scale architecture.
- Experience designing and maintaining large scale batch processing systems.
- Expert in parsing and transform using languages like Python.
- Experience with large scale transform and analyze using tools like Hadoop, Spark, Map reduce.
- Working with Dev teams to deliver touch zero change binary deployments. Continuous Integration tools, Jenkins Administration, Jenkins Docker as well as Jenkins HA skills.
- Resolve complex problems with Merging, Branching and Configuration Management of SCM system
- Database migration scripting
- Database dice & slice scripting
- Database strategy to deploy breaking changes with minimum disruption.
- Conversant and able to use at least 4 programming languages.
- Written parser for files of complexity equal or greater than EDI 834 in at least 2 different languages.
- Object-oriented and service-oriented design concepts, including knowledge of data transfer objects and associated design patterns.
Qualifications - Highly Desirable:
- At least 5 years as Principal Architect or Enterprise Architect
- Has written at least 20, 000 lines of code during the last year
- Has non-trivial open source projects where they have contributed over 5, 000 lines of code.
- Extensive experience using queues like Kafka to decouple complex distributed systems.
- Extensive experience solving performance problems in complex distributed systems.
- Extensive experience deploying applications in public cloud infrastructure.
- Has built complex general-purpose engines in at least 2 different languages.
- Securing web API using Open ID or other SSO technologies.
- 4+ years’ experience in SQL and Oracle. Understands and can explain when transactional semantics will limit scalability in large scale distributed systems.
- Knowledge of UML.
- Experience in Insurance Domain
- Experience in Claims processing Domain
- Experience in Dental Claims processing Domain
- Experience in Inventory Control or Audit Domains
- Experience in HIPAA and PCI security Domain
- Experience with Webscale technologies such as Kafka, Memcache, Riak, AWS, Shared nothing architectures.
- Experience building and deploying software onto AWS or Openstack using Chef, Docker or similar technologies.
- When using libraries, such as J2EE Soap, need to understand and verbalize how this works through the entire stack and how it could be implemented from the ground up.
- Experience writing complex general-purpose algorithms, such as databases, machine learning engines, parsers, etc.
- Writes code both at work and for fun. Has created or contributed to open source projects.
- Experience with Test Driven Design (TDD) methodology.
- JavaServer Faces (JSF) technology knowledge and experience.
- Experience with Web Logic Portal technology.
- Good understanding and ability to explain ROI tradeoff between System API integration tests and Unit tests and how they would make such a decision in a budget constrained environment.
- Good understanding of junit testing and continuous integration environment.
- Experience with Java Message Service (JMS) and Message Driven Bean (MDB) development is preferred.
- Working knowledge of developing and deploying applications in WebLogic portal environment.
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture and experience working with web services.
- RDBMS schema refactoring experience with experience releasing breaking changes to prod with minimal downtime.
- US Citizenship is preferred.
- Experience in the insurance industry, specifically with the health care industry.
- Recent experience with Oracle WebLogic 10.3.x or greater.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or a related field or comparable work experience.
Location: Okemos, MI
Duration: Long-term Contract (12+ months)