Sr. DevOps Engineer II
34405 W. 12 Mile Farmington Hills, MI 48331
Sr. DevOps Engineer
(W2 Candidates only)
Due to its success and excellent service, Our client is rapidly growing, and its Information Technology Division now seeks a Sr. DevOps Engineer that will be responsible for automating their infrastructure and operations to maximize reliability, availability, scalability, and performance. This role requires DEVELOPMENT knowledge and ability. Responsibilities will also include some System Administration on cloud and non-cloud environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Codify current AWS infrastructure, automating and reporting on the environment using AWS Devops Tools.
- Work with development teams to develop alerting triggers, logging, and general application monitoring.
- Actively work with teams to identify and review application issues and recommend enhancements.
- Work with Product Owners and IT Leadership to identify and recommend application/system environment improvements, performance enhancements, and areas of cost savings.
- Create and Maintain automated deployment pipelines.
- Coordinate and participate in deployment efforts for both UAT and Production.
- Enable automated resource and security audits.
- Thought leader on the future technologies used for environment management, automation, monitoring, and self-healing.
- Other duties may be assigned
What will this person be working on exactly? What is the nature of the project?
We have 2 main objectives we’ re trying to achieve: (1) provide coverage for our existing DevOps position; (2) extend the culture of DevOps to the other development teams beyond the new inspection platform which was built on a DevOps culture. This includes helping teams integrate NewRelic for application/infrastructure monitoring as well as helping team’ s set-up an automated CI/CD deployment pipeline. Each of the teams are at various levels of this. Many are setup with manual deployment of code and SQL updates, we want to automate this whole process consistently among the teams.
What are the top 3-4 skills they are looking for?
AWS, CI/CD, Development experience, Application/Infrastructure monitoring
What programming languages are they specifically looking for?
Python, .Net, Java
Do you need someone with Windows or Linux background?
The ideal candidate would have both. At least one of the teams needing focused attention is on a Window platform. The others use Linux or a combination.
Do you need someone heavier on the Development/Programming side or someone heavier on the system side?
Ideally balanced… Most of the candidates we see have very little programming other than bash scripting.
What are some of the challenges you are having with the types of candidates that are being presented?
Most of the candidates we see tend to be folks from the SysOps (Infrastructure) side who pick up some command line or bash scripting. They tend to have very little experience with development or working side-by-side with developers. Most “ support” development teams in doing server configurations to support them. An ideal candidate would have experience doing light coding to support smaller tasks that would assist a development team. For example, our current DevOps regularly picks up various tasks to help with automation of processes using Python and Lambda. He also is very closely involved in the system design and understands how the systems are built and integrated. He can help identify potential issues in the code to better assist development teams overall.
Job Knowledge and Skill:
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize day-to-day responsibilities
- Detail oriented, highly focused and very organized
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy and enthusiasm
- Excellent teamwork skills with the ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships
- Five or more years of DevOps experience which includes working knowledge of AWS DevOps Tooling, System Administration and Network experience. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience working with AWS.
- Working knowledge or experience with AWS and its DevOps Tooling and knows at least one configuration management system (Docker, Chef, Ansible, etc.).
- Proficiently understand networking in both Windows and Linux environments.
- Experience with virtual infrastructure domains and continuous integration environments.
- Knowledge of cloud virtualization and resource management using Docker Working knowledge of AWS.
- Working experience with databases such as Oracle and PostgreSQL.
- Experience using CI/CD build systems such as Jenkins.
- Experience designing highly available systems with fault tolerance in mind.
- Experience of using Git for version control.
- Experience of working in a Scrum team and Agile concepts.
Education, Licenses, Certificates, Registrations:
- B.A. In Computer Science related field desired, AWS certification preferred
- Working knowledge of power point, word processor, spreadsheet, other PC applications, ability to adapt to new technology as it becomes available.
- Proficient in System Administration and Networking concepts.
- Ability to excel in a team environment required. Must be able to successfully interface with I.T. and all AiM departments.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills required with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to source, disseminate and properly apply secondary research
- Salaried/exempt – TBD upon hiring
- Benefits including medical, dental, vision, LTD, life insurance and 401-K participation.
- No relocation will be paid
- Infrequent/Light travel.
The hiring managers would like the candidates to be able to answer the following:
- How many years do you have working with AWS Devops Tooling?
- Please explain some of the projects you have done working with AWS Devops Tools.
- What does DevOps mean to you?
- Please explain your personal experience performing Devops tasks on behalf of a development team. What was your role? How did you interact?