Sr. Java Developer / Software Developer
5601 Green Valley Drive Bloomington, MN 55437
The Senior Java Developer will:
- Implement & Perform - Implement designs following Pearson coding standards and industry best practices; maintain and support mission-critical applications as necessary
- Analyze & Design - Ensure business and requirements artifacts are created that effectively model the customer' s requirements. Use tooling and best practices to create design models from requirements
- Review - Participate in and lead requirements, design and code reviews
- Test & Deployment - Work closely with other teams (e.g., QA, configuration management, end users) to release high quality software. Create testable requirements and write and execute unit tests
- Quality/process improvement - Participate in group improvement activities and initiatives to improve process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
- Reporting - Complete project documentation as required, including logging status, risk, progress, and effort on assigned work
- People development – Mentor and train new team members
- Work closely with product owners and teams to lead feature implementation and/or source third party solutions when appropriate.
- Contribute to standards and best practices around development processes, coding, and peer reviews.
- Optimize existing systems to improve performance and scalability through service/application tuning and code refactoring.
- Fully and properly test code to ensure the highest levels of reliability and maintainability.
- Research and recommend software solutions and tools that help fix inefficiencies in the development process, team collaboration, etc.
- Help lead and drive development operations initiatives. Provide assistance to CM, QA and support personnel as needed to troubleshoot lower environment as well as production issues.
- Resolves customer complaints and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
- Participates in the development of software user manuals.
- 7+ years relevant software development experience creating business applications with relational database systems
- 5+ years of Java development required
- Experience with highly available, highly concurrent web-based applications
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline (strong desire)
- 1+ years experience working in an agile environment
- Desire to expand knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
- Quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
- Able to think technically and analytically
- Ability to understand the philosophy of architecture
- Must assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
- Must have strong time management skills - including the ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
- Effective written and verbal communication skills Ability to work within a team
- Experience with Windows, Unix and/or OS X system programming
Location: Bloomington, MN (open to remote for the ideal candidate)
Payrate: $65.00 to $75.00 per hour DOE
W2 Only - We our unable to offer sponsorship for this role at this time.