1770 Promontory Circle
Job Category: Other
Job Number: 18406
Title: Category Development Director
Location: Greeley, CO – FULLY ONSITE REQUIRED (Mon-Fri)
Job Type: Full-time, W2
Salary Range: $130,000 - $185,000/year
Incentive Pay: 20% Bonus - This position is eligible to participate in the company’s annual bonus plan, the amount of bonus varies and is subject to the standard terms and conditions of the incentive program
Benefits: Vision, Medical, and Dental coverage begin after 60 days of employment
Paid Time Off: Sick leave, vacation, and 6 company observed holidays
401(k): Company match begins after the first year of service
About the company: Global company with operations in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Mexico, and the U.K Large company that employs more than 50,000 people and customers in more than 100 countries.
Purpose and Scope/General Summary: The goal of this role is to map, track and develop with our commercial teams and business category opportunities, to better position the different businesses across multiple verticals (Categories, Product assortment, Segments, Customers, Distribution, Price, etc.) and to improve our competitive position. The role will help to identify new attractive segments for growth, build business plans to support (working alongside our business partners), and closing gaps relative to competition. The role also identifies mix and price opportunities and manages the continuous flow of opportunities, applying the best tools and practices to define optimal recommendations. The team goes across multiple units of the company, supporting our business and commercial partners to identify, prioritize, and bring our category opportunities to fruition. The role must understand market and category trends, consumer insights, and help identify the right subchannels, customers segments, products and additional components of the marketing mix necessary to address any potential growth and revenue opportunities. Lastly, the role will provide positioning recommendations, defined along with marketing and commercial teams by identifying the right levers to pull and when, while driving the discipline in how we capture these opportunities.
- A successful candidate must be a cultural fit and represent our company values.
- Must be a dynamic leader, building meaningful relationships with senior leaders, understand well the different businesses and opportunities, build valuable partnerships and tailor the approach to each context.
- This person should be a leader of change, self-motivated, visionary, proactive and an opportunity seeker.
- Should have a result-oriented approach, while comfortable to manage cross-functional objectives and different agendas.
- This person should master how to effectively resolve bureaucracy, navigate the corporate structure, manage conflicting interests, while driving the opportunity development agenda cross-functionally.
- With little guidance, be a process owner and facilitator, have a growth and research mindset, collaborating as part of a team, providing insights, and becoming a trusted advisor to senior leadership.
- Must master both implementing and managing category development and insights capabilities.
- This person should be comfortable navigating both tactical and long-term initiatives with good organization to manage multiple and conflicting priorities.
- Must have a well-rounded business acumen, be able to communicate clearly, adapt to different contexts and agendas, while still providing value to the organization through developing business opportunities in a disciplined manner.
- Must be well connected with the teams and stakeholders, to keep track of the market movements, business cycles, dynamics and opportunities, while finding ways to effectively position our company.
- Must be able to build a strong network of business and insights partners.
- Work closely with business leaders and other stakeholders to proactively diagnose their main opportunities, identify strategic and tactical initiatives and set priorities.
- Identify capabilities required, benchmark best practices, build new processes, tools and methods and align on service level needs to define the right resources and budget required.
- Create a pipeline of market, category, and brand opportunities for the stakeholders in line with their KPI’s and company goals.
- Serve as a trusted advisor in these disciplines and verticals.
- Identify company’s competitive positioning within the main categories, identify and operationalize benchmarks to execute company’s vision and define our business portfolio opportunities.
- Build our market/category structure view, identify, and monitor our category drivers, spot trends, and forecast the fundamentals of our business across segments and categories to incorporate them into our plans.
- Working alongside business leaders to identify where to play (target markets) and how to win (positioning) relative to competition in these market segments.
- Work closely with the business leaders, category, brand, and pricing teams to build their long-term roadmap for success, with clear milestones and market-based strategies.
- Monitor our performance regularly to identify the status of achievement of our category goals and identify new opportunities.
- Identify category roles within the business portfolio, build our comprehensive understanding of its market structure (Products, Channels, and Customers), and identify our relative position within it.
- Understand category drivers and trends, and identify opportunities, working alongside with business and category teams, on how to maximize our market exposure.
- Build a comprehensive understanding of consumers’ needs, category and product usage, journey pathing, hierarchy of choice and attributes, jobs to be done, value attribution and translate that into segments and priorities for optimum targeting.
- Define better positioning tactics for our brands and marketing programs, so that we can optimize total value delivered.
- Collaborate with marketing teams to build and recommend optimum marketing mix strategies, to optimize our return on investment and more effective go-to-market execution.
- Provide consultative guidance for brand strategy, innovation, product positioning, marketing mix, and sales effectiveness.
- Identify, segment, and prioritize channels and customers to build a pipeline of opportunities in accordance with our business needs.
- Extract alongside our commercial teams the best value from our existing key partners relationships and joint business plans, addressing performance opportunities.
- Comprehensively monitor and diagnose category execution and provide proactive actionable insights for the team to act on with customers, leveraging gateways and store level execution.
- Assess our capabilities, define best practices, benchmark against other models, identify process gaps, help integrate the team within the business cycle and implement the routines for effective goals.
- Integrate our information database, build our systems, manage multiple data sources, build our dashboards, platforms and automate processes.
- Develop process, with the right cadence and communication devices (reports, meetings, etc.) and routines to appropriately engage with stakeholders and the business to support the decisions.
- Hire, train and develop teams to effectively work alongside business leaders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, Economics, or related field.
- 5-8 years of work experience in a corporate environment, in category development and insights roles in a collaborative environment.
- Highly skilled with syndicated, consumer, and other insight data sources (IRI Circana, Nielsen, Numerator, etc.).
- 5 years of experience building comprehensive Intelligence and Insights programs.
- 3 years working in a consultative and advisory capacity, building category, brand, and go-to-market strategies.
- Change management and capability management experience is desirable.
- Strong analytical background, with clear understanding of different analytics / insights methodologies and frameworks.
- Leadership, with excellent communication, networking, collaborative, and relational skills.
- Strong analytical, consultative, and problem-solving skills.
- Availability and service-oriented mindset.
- Organized and strong planner.
- Research and growth mindset, with a great ability to communicate and present insights to a non-technical audience.
- Category development, insights, and management.
- Strategy, competitive, consumer, customers, and brand insights.
- Working knowledge of supply chain and manufacturing.
- Proficient in Syndicated Platforms Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Master’s Degree in Marketing, Business, Economics, or related field.
- Background working in CPG, agriculture, and/or animal protein industries.
- Knowledge of the brand management process, marketing mix model, digital marketing and analytics experience, new product development experience.
- Can perform the functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- As a salaried position with the company, you may be required to travel at some point to other facilities, to attend Company events, or as a representative of the Company in other situations. Unless otherwise specified in this posting, the amount of travel may vary and the most qualified candidate must be willing and able to travel as business needs dictate.